"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question - Unto what were ye ordained? To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth."
-D&C 50:13-14

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

April 30, 2012

Hello my family!

Well we had a great week here.  The weeks are flying by, and this one felt especially fast.  Probably because I was on exchanges for two of the days.  We have a Haitian-Creole speaking missionary companionship in our district, so I was in their area for both days.  It was a lot of fun, and always really interesting to experience a new culture.  On Spanish exchanges, I can at least have a fairly good understanding of what's being said....but with Creole I just sit there and nod the whole time.  Both of the missionaries that work there are a lot of fun though, and we had a good time.  It's difficult for them to tract there so we spent a lot of time visiting less active, and dropping in on a few potential investigators.  One of the highlights of the exchange was the English Class they teach on Friday nights.  I'd never been in a class where people are trying to learn the language I speak.  I imagine it'd be like a Hispanic person sitting in on my spanish class in high school.  It was pretty funny to be apart of, and once the Haitian people found out that I didn't speak their language, they immediately wanted to teach me some Creole.  I guess the language is similar to French, but with lots and lots of slang.  I did learn that food is "manje" and fish is "pwason"...just in case I ever need to say either of those words.  

We had a really successful week meeting with investigators though.  Jobiana is still doing extremely well.  She records shows on BYUTV, and reads talks online all of the time.  She and Helena have started the Book of Mormon together and are about half way through 1 Nephi now.  I love visiting them and seeing the progress they're making.  Franc came to church on Sunday and he and Jobiana talked with the Bishop about them getting married.  I had to leave church early so I didn't hear how it went, but we have a lesson with them tonight.  

The last musical fireside performance was last night in Sarasota.  Is was pretty well attended and the Spirit was definitely there.  Sister Draper (the senior missionary the put it together) did such a good job with all of it.  I almost felt like I was back in choir again and feeling like I really accomplished something at the end of a concert.  It was an opportunity for us to share our testimonies, but this time it was through song.  I'm sad it's over, but I'm really happy I got to be apart of it.  

Janelle is doing well.  She has gone through a lot in the last week, and her parents have made it very clear that they don't want her getting baptized.  She has decided that it's what she wants to do though, and will be going through with it this coming Saturday.  We told her that we're so sorry for the hardships, but continued to promise her blessings associated with getting baptized.  Janelle has a testimony, and she knows that the gospel is true.  Being baptized is the next step she needs to take, and she knows that.  It's hard for me to put myself in her shoes and imagine what she's feeling, but she has strong faith in her Savior and I know that she'll make it through.

I love you guys!  Have a great week.

Love,

Elder Kade Bartschi

No comments:

Post a Comment