"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question - Unto what were ye ordained? To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth."
-D&C 50:13-14

Monday, January 3, 2011

President Summerhays' Letter

Dear Sisters and Elders,

Happy New Year! I love you and look forward to the great opportunity to start a new year and a new transfer at the same time with you. A new year is a time to pause and recommit to serve the Lord Jesus Christ with all of our heart, mind and strength. I wish to express a heartfelt thank you to all of you who have served so valiantly in your former positions and who have now been given opportunities to open new areas, become trainers, or to serve as a missionary with a new companion. Remember that the most important calling in a mission is that of a missionary. Thank you to those who replied, “I will serve anywhere, with anyone, in any capacity. “

As I look at the transfer board, my heart is filled with love for the beautiful Sisters and Elders in the Florida Tampa Mission. It is a sacred place. It is where the Lord’s hand is at all times. The board has a sacred feeling because the Holy Ghost guides the rearranging of companionships. The spirit is strong and I know that every companionship can succeed in the sacred work of preaching the gospel. I hope you will see His hand in this transfer. I know that each companionship is designed by Heavenly Father for the growth of the missionary. I know these purposes can only be accomplished through companionship unity. We must apply the following admonitions:

I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine. D &C 38:27

“Verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with and anger one with another.”3 Nephi 11:29

“ I would ask you…to be the best companion—the most divine companion—you can be to that elder or that sister…”regardless of what problems arise and however fatigued or stressed you may feel…if you have not yet learned that it is more important to help someone else succeed than it is to focus on your own success, then please start learning that divine lesson now. It will help you understand the Atonement of Christ.” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Please cultivate companionship unity. Please cultivate that unity based on obedience, diligence and a loving passion for this work. There will be not true unity that is not centered in a deep devotion to this work. Be one and be His. Cast out the spirit of contention. Forget yourself and focus on your companion’s growth, happiness and success. Love and serve each other. Learn in greater depth the Atonement of Jesus Christ by service and love of your companion based on obedience, diligence and love. You will discover that your happiness and gifts will blossom. I feel His love for you and His great desire that you reach your divine potential. We can do it by remembering Him because we “Remember This”. PMG I love you and I believe in you and I love serving with you.

President Summerhays

No comments:

Post a Comment