"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question - Unto what were ye ordained? To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth."
-D&C 50:13-14

Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer Closing Down

Hey family!

Wow, it's hard to believe that you're all about to get back into the school schedule. Summer is winding down and it seems like everyone here is getting in their last minute vacations. That hasn't affected us too badly because...we're still trying to find people to consistently teach.

A quick update on Andrea and Bill though, they're both still doing really well. We had a lesson with Andrea this past week, and she has still been staying strong with keeping the Word of Wisdom. She carries around a big pack of gum to fight off cravings and has taken to gardening to keep her mind busy. During our lesson we talked about going to the temple and doing baptisms for the dead. She didn't realize that she could go and not have to wait a year, so she was extremely excited. She has family members that she would like work done for, and right now Andrea is planning on attending the ward temple trip at the beginning of September. We had dinner with Bill and his family this past week and watched Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration. That's a great film, and he and his family really enjoyed it. I love testifying of the Prophet and knowing that he was obedient to what the Lord required of him. Bill's family is really funny though, and following the movie Elder Nemelka burned a shirt because he just hit his year mark. I'll have to send some pictures of it.

We had a short lesson with Colton this week. I think I talked about him in my email last week, but he's the 20 yr old guy that is an intern at a radio station. We discussed the life of Jesus Christ and placed on emphasis on baptism, structure of the church Christ set up, and the atonement. He really liked what we covered and it fell in line with what he believes. We touched on the priesthood, but we'll have to cover that a little more this week. Colton hasn't been to church yet, and so we're really trying to encourage him to get there.

After getting back into contact with Terri and Jared, we were able to have a lesson with them on Tuesday evening. We covered a lot of the restoration, and Terri really does seem intent on learning. She listens closely to everything we say, and makes sure she understands it before we move on. We had a member there with us and he kind of took the lesson off track a few times, but he did share a lot of good things. Terri and Jared have been pretty hot and cold with us though. We called them the other night to confirm an appointment and both of them had been drinking quite a bit. I think they got embarrassed the next day when they sobered up and they haven't returned our calls over the last couple days. I hope they realize that we really do want to help them.

Other than that, we have been tracting quite a bit over the last couple days. I thought we would terrify people with three of us and with the height factor, but it has actually been really successful. Yesterday after church we went finding and have two return appointments for this week. Also the ward here has been cleaning out its roster and are setting up teaching opportunities for us, so I'm really excited about that. We want to stay busy and the ward is working hard to help us out.

Well I hope you all have a great week! Thanks for sending those things, I really appreciate it.

Love,

Your Boy

Elder Kade Bartschi

President’s Letter

Dear Sisters and Elders,


I loved being with you last week for the specialized trainings. I love laboring with you! I know that almost all of you are doing your very best. Success on our Mission and in life is contingent on doing the right things, in the right spirit and doing them long enough.


There are things we can only behold with the eye of faith, by the influence of the Spirit. D&C 76:10 promises, For by my Spirit will I enlighten them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my will—yea, even those things which eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man.


As Preach My Gospel testifies, The spirit is the most single important element in this work. With the spirit magnifying your call, you can do miracles for the Lord in the mission field. (Remember This: Continue to send me those tiny miracles-they bring me joy)


President Hinckley taught us how to recognize when we had His spirit with us when he said: “That’s the test, when all is said and done. Does it persuade one to do good, to rise, to stand tall, to do the right thing, to be kind, to be generous?...You recognize the Spirit by the fruits of the Spirit—that which enlighteneth, that which buildeth up, that which is positive and affirmative and uplifting and leads us to better thoughts and better words and better deeds is of the Spirit of God.”(PMG p.97)


Do you pass the test this morning? Do you feel good? Do you feel to rise, to stand tall, to do the right thing, to be kind, and to be generous? Do you feel enlightened? Do you feel positive and affirmative and uplifted? Do you feel to have better thoughts, better words and do better deeds this day? If not, then soon, very soon, drop down on your knees and pray for that spirit. Promise Him that you will do your very best this day. Promise Him that you will open your mouth to everyone. Open your Book of Mormon and look for a few heavenly promises and commit to act on what the words say you must do to obtain those promises. I promise you that His spirit will enter your heart and give you peace and encouragement. I promise you that you will feel His spirit as you wash your car and go to the store and as you plan, find, teach and baptize. Please don’t let another hour pass without the spirit to lift you up and bring you happiness. Lose yourself in this work by finding His spirit and you will have peace, joy and happiness. I yearn for your peace, joy and happiness.

I pray for you. I love the feeling that comes to me when I think of you in those prayers.


President Summerhays



No comments:

Post a Comment