"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question - Unto what were ye ordained? To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth."
-D&C 50:13-14

Monday, October 17, 2011

Teaching Investigators

Hey family!

It sounds like you've had a really good week. Congrats on the games this past week Whit and Braydy.
Well I'll just hit a couple of the highlights from this past week. The missionaries in the Temple Terrace fortunately have this habit of finding people to teach that are YSA aged; consequently, we were invited to two lessons on Saturday. There were some bike racks that we needed to deliver around the mission though, so we ended up going on exchanges so that at least one of us could be there for it. I stayed with Elder Khan, and honestly I was a little anxious. One of the lessons scheduled was with a girl named Megan. I'd already met her for a lesson before, and it didn't go over very well the first time. She had brought a friend with her then that didn't have very kind feelings in regards to the church, and wasn't afraid to express them. I guess after the lesson she called Temple Terrace and apologized for how things had gone over. Well unfortunately Megan texted us and canceled for the meeting, but the other one we had scheduled ended up working out. That lesson was with David and Nicole. They're both in their early twenty's and are cross country runners for Florida College. Most of the students there are members of the Church of Christ, and generally that means they want correct the wayward LDS missionaries. Surprisingly though, they were both really genuine and nice. Elder Khan and I took them on a tour of the church and then we went into a classroom and taught the Restoration. The Spirit was definitely present and at the end of the lesson they committed to reading and praying about the Book of Mormon. They had good questions at the end of the lesson like, "Why do we need a prophet?" "Isn't the Bible all that we need?". It felt like they were truly asking with intent to know, not to be contradictory.

Another cool experience was with a less active in our ward named Erin. A couple of weeks ago Elder Cook and I were trying to find some of the people on the roster that we didn't know. Our ward covers three stakes by the way: St. Pete, Tampa, and Brandon. That makes for huge ward boundaries. Anyways, she wasn't home when we went over, but we left our number with her roommate. She actually called us back that night and was interested in meeting up. Unfortunately, we kind of dropped that ball after that and took a while to get back to her. On Tuesday night we decided to give her a call, right off the bat she invited us over for dinner on Thursday night. We ended up going over there and it was a lot of fun. It turns out that she has been a member all her life, but her life got busy and she just hadn't been back to church in a while. She was interested in getting back into activities, and I'm excited to work with her. Erin knows where she needs to be, I think she just needs the motivation to do it.

This next week is going to be really busy because it's the last week of the transfer. I'm just going to try and buckle up and hang on for the ride.

I love you all! Have a great week.

Elder Kade Bartschi

President’s Letter

Dear Sisters and Elders,


I just feel such great joy in my heart for the Florida Tampa Missionaries. I had a special experience over the week end in the St. Petersburg Stake Conference. The witness came to me of your goodness, and of the joy you bring into the lives of those you are nurturing-a companion, a member, a less active, a part member family, an investigator and your Mission President. All with the beautiful desire to grow and establish the church by loving them and serving them. I was further instructed by the spirit that you, the Florida Tampa missionaries, are the angels on my right hand and on my left hand and in front of me who bear me up. I was allowed to feel of God’s love for me through you.


In this short letter, I just wanted to thank you for your faithful service and to express my heartfelt love for you. I also feel to bless you to fully understand who you are and who you represent and serve, the Lord Jesus Christ. I bless you that your mission can be filled with happiness, peace, love and productivity. I truly believe in each of you. You have my love and confidence.


President Summerhays

No comments:

Post a Comment