"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question - Unto what were ye ordained? To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth."
-D&C 50:13-14

Monday, June 20, 2011

Transfers and Pictures!!

Hello my family!

For once, last Monday feels like it was a long time ago. A lot has happened in the last week, so I'll try to do a review that makes sense....

Okay, well I started this week out on exchanges up in Hudson. I was with Elder Fadely who's from Stevensville, Montana. He's a hard working rancher that has been out for about 21 months. We had a really good time together and I felt like I'd gotten my fill of biking for the summer. We had a really good lesson with a part member couple that they're teaching. Both of them are professional clowns and are probably in their 70's. Ha they were extremely nice and we were able to teach her about the Plan of Salvation. She really accepted what we were teaching, and she especially was able to connect with our message of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It was a really neat experience.

On Wednesday Elder Moffett drove up and we switched back after attending their district meeting. The rest of the week felt pretty productive. Unfortunately we weren't able to meet with James and Melissa this week. They've been working on getting a house and moving in, and also James is on the job hunt. He did find a place though, and will start work there today. We had a lesson with Polly this last week and it went really well. She's so excited about learning more, and keeps talking about her baptismal date. When we brought up the topic of Ensigns, she was really pumped and told us that she would really like some of them. We were able to round up some copies for her. We had an awesome lesson with Mark and Patsy this week though. Our goal for the last couple weeks has been to invite Patsy to seriously take the lessons instead of just fielding questions from her. Well they fed us dinner on Saturday night, and following that she starting asking a couple of questions. Mark made a comment along the lines of "when you take the lessons it will put things in perspective for you". That made it really easy for us to ask her if we could begin doing just that. She thought about it for a second, and then she told us that she would like to do that. She really likes what she's been hearing in sacrament meeting, and she has agreed with basically everything that has been taught. I'm really excited about what is going to be going on with her.

Transfer calls were on Saturday morning and I received some surprising news. I'm getting transferred to the Brandon Zone, and will be serving in Seffner. My new companion's name is Elder Nemelka, and I've heard a lot of good things about him. We've never served around each other but I've met him a few times, and I'm sure we'll get a long really well. Seffner is a little rural from the sounds of things, which is totally fine with me. I love seeing open fields and working with people that are a little bit country. That probably has a little to do with the fact that I'm from small town Idaho, or something. But Elder Nemelka and I will be serving as zone leaders together there, and I think it will be fun to work with a new zone. I'm going to miss the St. Pete zone a lot, but I'm sure this will be good. Yesterday consisted of saying some goodbyes to people in the ward that I've gotten close with, and then with some of our investigators as well. It's always sad to do that, but I know that there's a reason for all of it. James is planning for his baptism to be this coming Sunday so his Mom will be there for it, and I'll (hopefully) be coming back for that. He's awesome, and I'm really excited for this to finally happen. Ha I'm sure he feels the same way. He has been preparing for a long time for this. Mike is doing extremely well though. It was hard telling him that I'll be leaving but I promised to always stay in contact with him. He's an amazing guy, it will be great keeping in touch.

Well that was my week in a nutshell . Ha I'm sure I missed some parts, but overall it was really good. The gospel really does bring people together, and I'm so grateful to be apart of all of that.

Have a great week and know that I love you all!

Elder Kade Bartschi


The one with the lion reminded me of the one at the Hogle Zoo when I was little.

Mike and Me

Me, Elder Moffett, and Sister Typner


Me and Sister Hinton (she is so funny)

This is the Beckman family (Brother Beckman was Mike's fellowshipper, and the girl in the yellow is Paige)

This is of the Johnson family. He's a recent convert.

This is a bird at the Willis' and then their family (they're from Idaho and he's the ward mission leader)


The last one is of Mark and Patsy

President’s Letter

Dear Sisters and Elders,

I have spent a beautiful week contemplating each and every one of you. The focus of my thoughts, fasting and prayers has been on transfers. I hope you can see the Lord’s hand in this process. I believe that He believes in every companionship’s ability to find, teach and baptize. I believe that He believes that each missionary can experience divinely orchestrated growth and progress. It does not mean that the transfer board is perfect but it is the Lord’s way and we can be diligent, happy and productive through humility, love and deep devotion to the daily responsibilities of the sacred service.

Time continues to fly. We have 10 days to finish reading the Book of Mormon if we want to complete it in the time it took Joseph Smith to translate it. As you continue your reading, whether you are behind, ahead or on schedule, I want you to try to put yourselves in Joseph’s shoes. Elder Neal A. Maxwell movingly tells of the wonder of the bringing forth of the Book of Mormon. Joseph Smith worked by the gift and power of God amid numerous interruptions, bitter persecutions, and even “most strenuous exertions” of those trying to wrest the plates from him (JS-H 1:60). Joseph’s life was not one of a tranquil scholar in some sanctuary where he could work at his uninterrupted leisure (By The Gift and Power Of God. Ensign Jan.1977). Joseph had chores to do and a family to care for.

Elder Maxwell writes about the marvelous nature of the translation. The speed of the translation is one of those marvels-an estimated average of eight pages a day. Compare that with an LDS Translator in Japan surrounded by references, dictionaries and colleagues who was able to produce one page a day and this from old Japanese to modern Japanese. More than 50 able English scholars labored for seven years, using previous translations, to produce the King James Version of the Bible, averaging one page a day. A second marvel is that Joseph would rarely go back to review or revise what had already been done. Emma said that after meals or interruptions, he would at once begin where he had left off, without seeing the manuscript or review. If this was a made up tale, he would have had to check and recheck himself to edit and revise. A third marvel is that Joseph was unschooled in things ancient. Once when he came across the words concerning a wall in Jerusalem he paused and asked Emma if the city did have walls. And yet a fourth marvel, Joseph worked completely without referring to any other sources.

Again, put yourself in Joseph’s place. The translation was a staggering achievement. It was completed within 85 days. Of course, not all of that time was spent working on the translation. The Prophet and his scribes also took time to eat, to sleep, to seek employment, to receive the Aaronic and Melchizidek priesthoods, to make at least one trip to Colesville; to receive and record 13 revelations that are now in the Doctrine of Covenants, to move from Harmony to Fayette, to acquire the copyright, to preach a few days and baptize several (now those are shoes to put yourself in), to the manifestations to the three and eight witnesses, and to make preparations for the publication. Considering the complexity, consistency, clarity, artistry, accuracy, density and profundity of the Book of Mormon, the translation is a phenomenal feat. “The Book of Mormon came through but not from Joseph Smith.

Sisters and Elders, as you feel the urgency to finish in time, try to feel Joseph’s urgency. I would love you to share your thoughts with me. I appreciate your insights, strengths and testimonies. When I am with you, I am strengthened, and when you are with others I am encouraged by the knowledge that you are going about strengthening them. I know you are serving the Lord. And again, I pray that you will see the Lord’s hands in everything from the Book of Mormon to transfers. I pray for your ability to follow the council, “come what may and love it”. I am grateful that I have been blessed to see you in the best of light. You have marvelous potential. I love you and I believe in you.

President Summerhays


No comments:

Post a Comment